Got Married or changed your name – tell the ATO or your refund will be delayed


If you have changed your name, the ATO are now holding tax refunds until the ATO has been provided with proof of the name change.


Most commonly, this would occur if you got married recently, but of course applies to any name change.


Fix it now so your refund isn’t delayed

If you have changed your name you can call the ATO on 13 28 61 (personal line) to stop your refund being delayed (or to ensure that you receive your refund as soon as possible). You will need to provide the details on your Australian marriage certificate.


Note that if you were married in Queensland the ATO will not accept your marriage certificate, so you need to update either your drivers’ licence or passport with your changed name and then provide those details to the ATO.


When can I advise the ATO of a change of my contact details?

Advising the ATO can be done at any point after you have gotten married – so there is no need to wait until you have lodged your tax return.


You can call the ATO for any change in details (such as home or postal address, phone number or email address).

Posted in Life, Tax

Sign up




Tweet This
SEO Powered by Platinum SEO from Techblissonline